Oct 27, 2012

Weightless

"Weightless"
Ultimate Joy
Annabelle Seelye Fuhr
 24x48" mixed media
 SOLD


The free form under painting for this piece remained in my studio for almost a year waiting for me to "see" what was to follow.  Broad strokes of opposing colors and textures swept across the canvas in no particular order as I was just moving paint around as a release from the reality of the day.  Not in any real mood to paint that day, I proceeded and when the colors came together just right, I put it aside to ponder. 

A year later, when the studio was dark, light filtered in from the living room giving it a new dimension. I saw it.  The hip, the angle of the body, outstretched arms, a figure emerging from some mystical place. A freedom of movement, a freedom from sorrow, a weightlessness of spirit.  A renewal.   Peace overcomes me as I continue to flesh out this watery image.  It wasn't until I stepped back from hours of intense painting that I could truly see it, it was an embodiment of my spirit, now light as my husbands health continued to improve. Two years ago he was literally on his way out,  dying from toxic chemo therapy poisoning. At that time, it was something  of which I had come to terms, yet again  through the painting process.  The painting , "Perilous Journey", left me in tears once complete and yet peaceful as it was out of our hands.  It was, however our daughter in all of her nineteen years of wisdom said, " Ya know Dad, you ought to just stop chemo all together, its killing you." And so, he did!  Blood work normalized, organs soon  recovered,  lost weight -returned, and muscle mass increased along with a renewed energy and zest for living.  

Steve now enjoys full days and weekends with his energetic grand-daughter and family,  long motorcycle rides out of state,  tending the horses, nurturing me and preparing wonderful meals ready when I return from work.  What is even better, he has developed a hobby- something he never really afforded himself due to a number of reasons.  For the past six weeks or so he has been learning to play the dulcimer dedicating as much a two or three hours a day.  He looks forward to out of town lessons on Tuesday and had surpassed his instructor in skill level as he researches methods and takes mini lessons via u-tube. It does my heart good to see him doing something that brings him joy. Tonight he will join the local blue grass jam for the first time. 
 As he plays, my heart sings.   Rejoicing he is still here and that he is truly living. 


A question worth pondering......
Recently at a speaking engagement about my art, I was asked," How can you sell these pieces in which you  have such and emotional connection?"  I told her," I am humbled  that someone could relate to the message and that I hoped it would bring them comfort and joy, as it did me in its creation.  Besides I already lived it - it was a moment in time and I need to move forward."

No comments: