May 30, 2013

Over qualified?

Anyone who owns a small business  has a firm understanding of the countless hats one must wear just to get the job done- because in some cases you are  the only one there. 


       Desk Clerk
 We have a friend and who owns a historic hotel, and this Jack of all trades  reality,  was  clearly illustrated one day when a woman walked into their lobby and casually looked around and said, " I would love to be your front desk clerk."  The owner was surprised by this as she did not advertise an opening. She just asked with a smile, "What skills to you have to offer?" The young woman proceeded to tell about her clerical skills and continued to sell herself as the right person for the job of front desk clerk.  When the owner mentioned that the job of desk clerk in this hotel also included the responsibilities of cleaning the lobby, preparing the rooms, laundering the linens, and when needed assisting with a catering job booked at the hotel. At this , the young woman raised her chin full of pride and plainly said, " Oh, I seem to be overqualified for this job, I have an ASSOIATES DEGREE."  My good friend explained,   "  I'm currently the front desk manager and owner of this hotel,  and we aren't hiring. I fulfill all the responsibilities mentioned and I have a law degree and I clean the toilets as well ,"  With a smile she said,   "Thank you for coming in, I  hope you find something for which you are qualified."



 There are so many examples of good hard working people digging down and getting the job done while others seem to think they are above it.  When did this happen?  It used to be ....you work, your reward is the paycheck - mouth off at the boss, you don't eat.    I long for simpler times when people pride themselves on a job well done and to step up and get your hands dirty if needed.  




3 comments:

ARAXES BOREALIS said...

Phillipians 4 (?)....but I am reminded of this by your post - "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

. said...

The secret of contentment is the realization that life is a gift, not a right.

This is my personal mantra. Every day is a gift, we are not sure how many we will have or what is to come in the next day. I have an appreciation for all things, as I too lived without as a child. Being homeless while with my biological mother left much to question but I knew that I was being watched after by a force greater than I. God is in all that I do, all I see, all I feel. It is to give up ones self, is to find true contentment. I have struggled with what should I do as a career, I wanted to contribute, but doubted myself and the intentions of God- I felt being an artist was not something to be valued- I should BE something else. I actually shed real tears over this faced with the uncertainty of how long I had left with my husband. I was faced with the potential of being a widow, and it scared me to death. At this time, I had not really thrown myself into my art full time, I had divided my time with caring for the kids, home, community service, caring for my elderly mother in law and then my ailing husband. What to do? I was lost truly. My husband told me - indeed I was fulfilling my mission- to have raised two beautiful children and create art that makes you feel something. He assured me that I would be taken care of after he had passed, and that I should continue to do my art. Soon after this intimate conversation we were downtown in our little town of Lamar and a vacancy for a historical storefront came available. He peered in as I walked on by, he called me back and said- wouldn't this make a great studio and gallery. And it did! Four years later I'm still doing my art full time and happy as a clam. When I paint -I let God lead me, it is in this moment I feel most alive.

I think those who have seen both need and plenty have an appreciation for hard work and the wonders in life. My foster mother taught me well, if someone does an act of kindness do not criticize their efforts, because they didn't have to do extend the effort and they are doing it in love. Another thing she taught me was, " Do all things in Love." Even if you have to ground your kids for their behavior, be sure you do so in a loving way, this way they can reflect on their bad behavior, not yours.

Unknown said...

Yes, and I can see the joy in all your work, keep creating.