Feb 16, 2012

About My Art

"To truly live, one must constantly reinvent themselves, its in that growth process that I find myself most at home." Annabelle Seelye Fuhr
Artist Statement
My artwork is eclectic in nature reflecting my own personal journey and my love of travel. One of my collections is the "Travel Series", This series includes numerous watercolors and oils that pay tribute to beauty of the landscape in the United States and abroad. Being fortunate to travel , I feel responsible to share this joy through my work, so others may be stirred with the same appreciation. The markets of Mexico, the streets of New Orleans , the rain forest and beaches of Australia are among the body of work. Many of these pieces have found a new home to be enjoyed by their collector. One of my favorite things to do, when traveling or just going for coffee is to take notice of people in their natural surroundings . My sketch book or camera is always close at hand to take note of light, form, and events of the day. My husband and children have learned its just part of who I am, and think nothing of me setting up in the local bookstore with a watercolor set and coffee, noting the gentleman sleeping in overstuffed chair waiting for his spouse. Its in the richness of the moment that I try to recreate in color, as in the “Badlands Series” painted from memory, as I was riding my motorcycle unable to take reference photos, but the experience was burned into my subconscious like a beautiful dream.
More esoteric pieces comprise the second collection that pass through the world of love, despair, joy, hope, sorrow, loss and back again to rebirth and inner strength. Signature pieces like, "Nourish the Soul" and " Affirmation" reflect myself as work in progress, passing from one phase of life, to another gaining inner strength. A very moving piece for me is called, “ Perilous Journey” , which is a visual descriptor of how one feels hopeless when illness falls on the family. Works such as these prompted a commission that embodies the life journey of the patron, entitled, “The Emergence of Katherine.” One of the greatest compliments I received was when one of my patrons said, " Your work has a richness of color and symbolism that sets itself apart, it just draws you in.” I tend to just let the spirit take me and all I have to do is hang on and enjoy the ride.
My task, is to do the work- what ever it may be. Being eternally optimistic has a profound influence on my life as I choose not to be caught up in the darkness that sometimes invades our lives. Creating is a cathartic experience as I learn more about myself each time I step up to the easel. Tears have fallen on journal entries and before the final touches of a painting, releasing me from a lifetime of emotional burdens, so I may emerge stronger and lift up others . Being a mixed media artist I utilize what ever lay before me in terms of medium and subject matter including the written word. Over the last couple years I have maintained a blog about the “Creative Process”, and have found it an equally rewarding experience. My love of travel is expressed in a collection of work that courses through far off places, local dives, timeless tales and worlds of fantasy. “My body of work, reflects who I am- A NOMAD BY NATURE.” Annabelle Seelye Fuhr

No comments: